Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Blog #7 Privacy Online & Off

 


This week our Media Law and Literacy class was assigned 4 TED talks to watch. All of them were interesting and were a wake up call for us Americans. One that caught my eye was "Your Online Life, A Permanent Tattoo." - Juan Enriquez. 


How it related to me

We are constantly hearing from our parents and peers that what you put online stays online. This is real and true. Everything we put online is a "electronic tattoo." They stay forever. As Enriquez stated, "Because of electronic tattoos, maybe all of you and all of us are closer to immortality. Because these tattoos will live far longer than our bodies will." This reminded me of what our parents and peers say. Once we're dead, the things we post online are still going to be out there for the world to see. 

Now, because of the platforms I have and the need to be careful with what I post, this TED talk was particularly relevant to me. Pictures from 2015 appear when you search my name on Google. It amazes me that these photos from so long ago are still on display for all to see. This makes me want to be careful with what I upload so that no negative photographs with my name on them end up on the internet. This has an impact on employment; for example, if a potential employer googled my name and found negative images of me, it would have an impact on my employment and I would not be considered for that position. It's critical to be cautious about what you post online and offline.



What the government should be doing

I believe that mistakes do occur, such as when you share a picture of yourself with alcohol while under the age of 21 or when you are visible in the background of a film where alcohol is present. This is when I believe there should be a change in what can and cannot be shared on the internet. It is unjust to penalize someone for an accident. But, if you want to put something out there and are happy with it for a period of time, I believe it is fair for it to be on the internet indefinitely. You chose to put it out there voluntarily; now, if you regret it afterwards, I feel you must bear the repercussions.



What can we do to protect ourselves

We can do a lot to protect ourselves from privacy invasion. Going offline on all social media networks would be the simplest option. That is a common path taken by many people. If you don't want to take that chance, just be cautious about what you put online. It lasts indefinitely and has a significant impact on a variety of factors. This article shares a lot of information of how to be mindful when sharing online.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog #7 Privacy Online & Off

  This week our Media Law and Literacy class was assigned 4 TED talks to watch. All of them were interesting and were a wake up call for us ...